Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) Surrey Docks was formally established on the 7th of June 1987 as part of the quest to expand Christ Apostolic Church in the United Kingdom.
Prior to the creation of Surrey Docks, there was only one assembly of CAC in the United Kingdom which is Christ Apostolic Church Seven Sisters the headed by Later Pastor N. O. Adeusi.
As the church was growing in every realm, there was a need for expansion as members were coming for service from every part of London with a very high concentration in South London and an obvious need for a new branch in that area.
On 7th of June 1987, Pastor Adeusi led some church leaders among whom were; Pastor Emmanuel Olwasegun Mediayese, Pastor Olarewaju, Elder Eniwumide, Late Elder Remi Fasunan, Elder Theophilus Ogunjimi, Elder Olaniran to start a new branch in South East London
The church had its first worship and Holy Communion service at Silwood Estate Hall, London. SE16. With a total attendance of sixty-one (61) congregants. Offering collected was One Hundred and Ninety-Nine Pounds, Sixty-Three pence only (£199.63).
On 13th of September 1987, Late Pastor N. O. Adeusi appointed Emmanuel Medaiyese, as the minister-in-charge.
Pastor Medaiyese was officially ordained on the 24th of July 1988 (the first CAC pastor to be ordained in the UK). He is by the grace of God still the minister- in -charge of CAC Surrey Docks.
On the 25th of October 1987, the Church moved from Silwood Estate to St. Mary’s Church, Rotherhithe, London SE16 as a result of increase in Church membership.
On the 6th of November 1987 – The weekly bible study usually held at seven sisters was fully incorporated into the church programme at Surrey Docks.
On the 12th – 15th November 1987 – The monthly marathon prayer weekend programme tagged “72 hours” began and to the glory of God, this prayer programme is still on till date.
As the church continued to grow, the need arose to have bands and societies to help with the welfares of members and on 1st of May 1988, the church established bands which are listed below:
- Ladies’ Progressive
- Men’s Progressive
- Unity in Christ
- Christ Army
- Band of Christ and
- Bright and Morning Star (Formerly Morning Star)
On the 11th of October 1987, the first set of Church Elders were ordained, the list included:
- Elder Theo Ogunjimi (now Pastor)
- Elder Oluremi Fasunan. (Of blessed memory)
- Elder Olaniran (now Pastor)
- Elder Peter Ogundeji
The church council was also formed and the church was registered as a charity organisation in the UK.
On the 25th of December 1990, the church moved to its current location (163, Ilderton Road, London. SE16.) and celebrated Christmas in her own building, to the glory of God. The service was declared opened with twenty-one (21) glorious ground-shaking Halleluiah and had one hundred and fifty-eight (158) members in attendance.
From December 1990 till date, God has increased the church and helped it to spread out in the United Kingdom and Europe, with five (5) branches namely with their pastors;
- Leyton (formerly hackney): Pastor Lawrence Ajayi, Pastor Ayo Johnson & Pastor Festus Olorunsogo
- Welling (formerly Woolwich): Pastor Casey Badejo, Pastor Gabriel Ogunbaiyeje and Pastor Olasuyi.
- Swanscombe: Pastor ‘Femi Adekoya and Pastor Tosin Medaiyese
- Hastings: Pastor Jide Siwoku and Pastor Timothy Adeyinka.
- Brussels, Belgium: Pastor Ayodele Kobomoje.
The Church is privileged to be one of the District Co-ordinating Councils of CAC Great Britain and Europe – (Southern District co-ordinating Council) as a great transformation from being an assembly to a District Headquarters to a District co-ordinating Council Headquarters and then recently the seat of the Europe region superintendent.
Most of the pastors in the branches were mentored by Pastor E.O. Medaiyese and ordained while serving the headquarters. The followings are the current pastors at the headquarters:
- Pastor Sunday Asoso – SDCC Superintendent
- Pastor Elijah Oguntade
- Pastor J. O. Olaniran
- Pastor Adebayo Olalere
- Pastor Bamidele Saliu
- Pastor Iyiola Ajala
- Pastor Rotimi Lanlokun
- Pastor Samuel Fasoro
- Pastor Jimi Shobande
The church also has a number of Evangelists, Elders, Deacon and Deaconesses which support the pastors in the areas of evangelism, administration and members welfare.
Apart from the CAC branches and pastors listed above who came out from the church, several other pastors have been made and nurtured by the church who now have their own ministries such as;
- Pastor A. A. Ibrahim – Christ the Living Word Church
- Pastor Ajitena – Cliwom Sanctuary of Praise
- Pastor Nife Bamidele – Christ Mission Embassy
Some Hallmarks or Milestone Recorded by the Church
- The first baby in the assembly was born on the 19th June 1987 to the family of Mr & Mrs Babasanya.
- The first wedding was held on the 4th of July 1987 (Mr & Mrs. G. Abiola)
- The first sets of twins (boys) were born on the 26th of June 1988 to the family of Mr & Mrs. Jaja.
- Church first anniversary – 26th June 1988.
- First Easter retreat – 28th of March to the 3rd of April 1988, titled the 2nd coming of Christ.
- 1st official visit of CAC representatives in person of the then President of CAC worldwide Pastor Orogun who worshipped with us, On the 7th of August 1988
- The first baby at Ilderton Road born to Pastor & Deaconess Olaniran on 23rd August 1990 (Francesca Olaniran)
- First bachelors’ and spinsters’ meeting was held on the 30th of December 1990.
- First Sunday school review in the church was held on the 10th of January 1991.
- First workers’ meeting was held on the 7th of February 1991.
As a living church, CAC Surrey Docks have had its time of lifting and challenges but it is noteworthy to declare that God has remained faithful to His words that “the gates of hell shall not prevail.
Amongst others, the church lost its first church secretary; Elder Oluremi Fasunan on 5th March 2010 and one of the elders and a council member who also was the Mayor of Southwark Council; Elder Adelani Tayo Situ on 9th of May 2011.
The Church currently runs a Day Care and Nursery school called God’s Grace Day Care and Nursery School which caters for children in the community and there are various community-based projects being embarked on by the church to propagate the gospel of Jesus Christ and help the need in the community.